Monday, July 8, 2013

Up-cycling Shirts


Making doll shirts is the perfect way to reuse favorite old t-shirts that no longer fit and to add variety to your collection. It is also a great source of fabric when experimenting with new patterns. I first started learning to make doll shirts through a free Liberty Jane Pattern. Once I felt confident which how the pattern pieces worked, I began sketching out my own patterns.  I tried out different necklines, sleeves, hems and more.  There is a lot of freedom when it comes to making a t-shirt truly unique.





My doll wardrobe was so full of little t-shirts all made from the same base pattern I was getting tired of it. So who says you should be limited keeping the front panel of a shirt 1 piece? I was inspired by the curved seam in the new "Tropical Bloom Outfit" by American Girl when I created the Tank top Samantha is wearing.



Tropical Bloom Shirt From AG

Up-cycling shirts is also a great way to give your dolls something name brand.  For the t-shirt Addy is wearing I made certain to include the little "Aeropostale"printed on the shirt.


2 comments:

  1. the curved tee Addy is wearing is so cute and modern, I definitely want to attempt to make a shirt like this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Mellow! Thanks and you should definitely give it a try. I recommend using the free "Trendy Tee" Pattern from Liberty Jane http://www.pixiefaire.com/collections/18-inch-doll-shirt-top-patterns/products/free-t-shirt-18-doll-clothes

    Once you have the pattern pieces printed out, grab some tracing paper and sketch out the modifications you would like to make. For example, with the shirt Addy is wearing I gave the pattern more of a scooped neck and dropped the center front and back of the bottom on a curve. (when the shirt is laid flat and open on a table, the bottom hem looks like a wave).

    I'd love to see what you come up with.

    ReplyDelete